As you probably discovered last week, I am really excited about our new sermon series through the book of Colossians called "The Core: Living with Jesus at the Center." So that you can get the most out of this series, I am going to provide you with some resources:
1. A PDF of the ESV's introduction to the book of Colossians: This is a great resource for you to understand some of the background stuff as well as get a good idea of the overarching themes found in the book.
2. Re-listen (or listen for the first time) to the previous week's sermon. I know personally that sometimes I need to listen to instructions multiple times before I really "hear" them. The same is probably true for you as well. You can go to our website and listen there or you can listen to the podcast using iTunes.
3. #CoreVerses Round #1: One of the challenges that I have put out there is for you all to memorize Scripture that goes along with the four sections. For our first eight weeks, I have challenged you to memorize Colossians 1:19-20 (easy route) and Colossians 1:15-20 (a little more challenging route). Keep in mind that you have eight weeks to do this! If you can memorize lyrics to songs and lines from movies, you can do this as well… and its better for you!
And as a side note, post on Facebook or other social media how you are creatively memorizing those #CoreVerses! Take pics and share it with the world! Send those pics to me as well (firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. Prepare to Gather: Not only do I encourage you to read the post that Todd Paben puts out there, but I want to strongly encourage you to actually prepare your heart for worship! Read and meditate on the text that we will using for the sermon. Listen and sing along to the songs that we are going to sing on Sunday morning as a way to get your heart ready to sing corporately. I want us to sing lustily (this is a word that my mother-in-law uses frequently to describe how people should sing in church)!
5. Read through or listen Colossians at least weekly: Along with memorizing those #CoreVerses, it is powerful to hear or read the whole book as one unit. That is how the church in Colossae received it. It was one big message. Download the ESV app to read and listen to it in the car, while doing laundry or yard work, or just around the house!
6. Invite your friends and family to join us: I know that this doesn't sound like a way to grow, but it is. As God is working in you by keeping Christ at The Core, you will see growth in your relationship with Jesus Christ in all areas of your life as you are being conformed to the image of his Son (Romans 8:29), right? If you are passionate about the person and work of Jesus Christ, you will grow in your desire to share the Good News of this Jesus with others! Pack the house! Invite away!
If you have other ideas, let me know… I hope to provide more as time goes by!
Together for the Gospel,
Comments for this post have been disabled